makinghismark

The Last Girlfriend on Earth: And Other Love Stories
Simon Rich
The Dog Stars
Peter Heller
Idiot America: How Stupidity Became a Virtue in the Land of the Free - Charles P. Pierce This book wasn't quite what I had expected. I thought I was getting a collection of biting and humorous essays on the nuttier aspects of the political and cultural right, like an Al Franken. Instead Idiot America is more of a history lesson, with forays into the fringe elements connected with 8 years of George W. Bush. Pierce uses the historical touchstone of James Madison to comment on how our society has gone askew from his original ideals written into the constitution and Federalist Papers.

It was an interesting and fairly quick read, but in the end quite forgetable. Charles Pierce was finishing this book during the fall of the 2008 presidential campaign, so the fact that Barack Obama won the election is not even included in the text. This is an Idiot America that does not yet contain "tea baggers." Pierce comes off as a windy college professor, who somehow believes that the dumbing down of America through the use of television is a new idea.